A PLAN FOR STUDENT ACTION

The Mail

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

In the last few weeks, the efficacy of student political action has been demonstrated. New Hampshire surprised everyone, I suppose, but the students working there. The anti-Vietnam activities--organized protests, petitions, and referenda--seemed the most optimistic view. At this point student power to effect change is being considered by many in terms of next moves. These next moves matter. We all realize this.

Despite the passage of the Civil Rights Bill, the cities have almost nothing to go on in their fight against urban poverty and racial discrimination. Anti-poverty funds have been cut, summer work programs are looking very thin, the whole employment picture for Negroes is as bleak as ever and the same is true of new and rehabilitated housing. Ghetto schools are the same old schools.

It has been stated (in self-defense perhaps) by Administration suporters that the fault lies with Congress. While this may not be entirely true, it is true enough for action.

Letters to Congressmen are not enough. Students could well organize themselves to campaign strongly against carefully selected Senators and Congressmen who have opposed legislation that could help Negroes, and particularly the urban-deprived. These Congress-men should be forewarned face to face by groups of students, of the activity and the reasons for it. Congressmen should be selected in such a way that their opponents, if elected, will not be worse. This takes careful work; a combing of voting records and public statements.

It is different kind of political action from supporting a worthwhile candidate, but it will make a point. Antonia H. Chayes   (Mrs. Abram Chayes, Human Resources Consultant,   Model Cities, Boston; Dean-Elect, Jackson College,   Tufts University)