U. Chicago Poll Finds 60% Bar Vietnam Duty

By Thomas P. Southwick

A poll of seniors and first-year graduate students at the University of Chicago has found that 60 per cent of those responding intend to refuse military service in Vietnam.

However, only 30 per cent of seniors and 27 per cent of graduate students answered the poll, which the university's Student Government distributed.

Of those who said they would refuse service, 26.5 per cent said they would leave the country, 11 per cent said they would go to jail, and 9 per cent said they would remain here but "attempt to avoid the draft."

Twenty-six per cent of the seniors and 16 per cent of the graduates are applying for conscientious objector status, and 34 per cent of those planning to avoid service said they would "contemplate flunking their physical by faking."

Of those responding, 93 per cent indicated they disapprove of the war in Vietnam. Seventy-three per cent favored complete withdrawal of American troops.

In the poll conducted by the CRIMSON in December, 22 per cent of the seniors indicated they would refuse military service. Forty-three per cent of the class answered the CRIMSON questionnaire