HUC Meets with CEP For the First Time

By Jeffrey D. Blum

Harvard Undergraduate Council representatives will appear before the Faculty Committee on Educational Policy for the first time tomorrow. The CEP will then discuss the general issue of student representation on Faculty groups.

The CEP and the Faculty Committee on Houses last month rejected an HUC request for permanent, non-voting student representatives.

Last week HUC students attended a meeting of the Committee on Houses for the second time and discussed the same matter. Jeffrey C. Alexander '69, vice-president of HUC, said the meeting had made him optimistic about the chances of student representation being approved in the Fall. "But by then we'll be asking for a lot more," he said at last night's HUC meeting.

The HUC also discussed a preliminary report of the findings of Dean Glimp's Ad Hoc Student-Faculty Committee on the Administrative Board, which was presented by the HUC members of that group. The report was not released for publication.

The HUC defeated a motion recommending that the Ad Board permit legal counsel for students involved in political demonstrations and for any student who is to be discharged from the University. The sponsor of the motion said it is unfair that a student found guilty of a minor offense like plagiarism should be expelled from Harvard and, under the present circumstances, sent to Vietnam without the aid of legal counsel.

A resolution was approved which condemned the House of Representatives passing of a bill which would cut off federal funds to students who participated in illegal acts, including political demonstrations. (The bill is now before the Senate.) Stephen H. Kaplan '69, president of HUC, said the bill was unacceptable in "theory and practice" and that it was a serious threat to academic freedom.