Nine Grabs Tie for Crown As Peters Hurls 1-Hitter

By David M. Sloan

Varsity baseball coach Norm Shepard received a going-way present from his pitching ace Ray Peters yesterday--a dazzling 1-hit, 9-0 win over Yale that assured Harvard a tie for the Eastern Intercollegiate Baseball League crown.

Shepard, who is retiring this season after 14 years as the Crimson's baseball mentor, watched as Peters completely handcuffed Yale's hitters except for a fourth-inning double.

The triumph was Peters' seventh without a loss in league play and boosted the squad's record to 8-1. Army, also once-beaten, must win its remaining games to retain a share of the title.

Harvard's hitters provided Peters with a two-run cushion in the first inning. After Jeff Grate led off with a walk, Carter Lord slugged a 390-foot triple to bring him home.

Hard Smash

Second baseman Dick Manchester then drove in Lord with a hard smash that the Bulldog's shortstop could not come up with.

Peters only needed one of the runs. Although he walked five Eli's during the game, he mastered both his control and Yale hitters in the clutch.

Yale's only threat came in the fourth innings when Steve Greenberg got the Bulldog's lone hit. After he doubled, Peters walked the next man and wildpitched both baserunners to second and third.

Yale Squelched

But Peters squelched Yale's potential rally by disposing of the next two hitters on a strikeout and a fly to right.

Harvard's varsity nine finished the season with a flourish by exploding for seven runs in the ninth, highlighted by triples by Ken O'Connell and Grate. Manchester and Pete Karegeannes each drove in two runs during the rally.

For Shepard, the victory caps his twelfth winning season in 14 years, and gives him his third EIBL championship.