Harvard Baseball Team To Compete in NCAA's

By Richard D. Paisner

The Harvard baseball team will play in the NCAA District I playoffs.

At a meeting yesterday, the District committee agreed to hold the series from June 3-June 6 at the University of Connecticut. This scheduling avoids exam period conflicts at Harvard and Providence College which had threatened the team's participation. The Committee had originally slated the playoff for next weekend.

Unofficial reports have Harvard seeded first followed by Providence, Connecticut and Boston University A major surprise is the absence of both Boston College and Holy Cross from the field. It was considered a sure thing that the winner of the traditional game between the two Jesuit schools would get a bid. The Crusaders won on the field Saturday but evidently lost at the meeting yesterday.

Harvard captain Carter Lord expressed his pleasure at the Committee's decision yesterday and revealed that he had almost forfeited his chance to play. "The pro football Dallas Cowboys were ready to send a contract down here for me to sign after we beat Yale," said Lord, the greatest end in Harvard history, "but fortunately I headed them off in time."

Although the plans are not yet definite, one source indicated Providence and Connecticut will play June 3 while Harvard will meet B.U. (the Terriers beat the Crimson earlier this year) June 4. It is considered possible that the latter game may be held on a neutral field in the Boston area.

The District I tournament is a double elimination contest. This means that the four teams will play among themselves until three of them have lost twice. The survivor will go on to the National championships in Omaha, Nebraska.