105 Cliffies Decry Fund Solicitation

By Kerry Gruson

More than 100 Radcliffe seniors--a third of the graduating class--have signed a letter stating that they "have serious reservations" about contributing to the Radcliffe College Fund.

The letter, written in response to a request for funds from class president Diane Balter '68, says, "We are apprehensive that by giving money at this time we would be supporting certain policies which we found antithetical to our needs during our years at Radcliffe." The letter cites the controversial decision to build a fourth house, and the recent failures to set up a new student government acceptable to administration and students.

Giving Spirit

This is the first year that Radcliffe has solicited contributions from its senior class. Last year, Harvard raised $9283 from graduating seniors. Eighty per cent of the class contributed.

The request for financial help from Radcliffe seniors is part of a $30 million fund raising campaign over the next few years.

Radcliffe decided to approach its seniors this year to get them "in the spirit of giving," and to influence other alumnae, according to Miss Balter.

The letter suggests that money now being raised for new buildings be used to bring more scholarship students to Radcliffe and to subsidize students wishing to live off campus.

Miss Balter said that withholding contributions would not slow construction of the Fourth house. She noted that it will be built with the contributions from special fund drive.

Seniors signing the letter say that they hope to persuade other alumnae to hold back their money. They claim that Radcliffe may find it difficult to get foundation grants if it cannot claim support from its alumnae.

The fund raising office said yesterday that it has received 49 pledges of support from the senior class, averaging nine dollars each.