RUS

IN the midst of the violent protests that have focused national attention on student power in the University, the most encouraging victory for student rights took place quietly at Radcliffe. After five months of seemingly hopeless negotiations, the Radcliffe College Council finally approved a RUS constitution.

The new constitution is far from a blanket approval of RUS demands. While the Council was at last willing to grant students impressive legislative power, it was still not ready to accept permanent student representation on the Council. More significantly, however, the Council did not force RUS to compromise any of its demands. When an impending deadlock over Council representation became evident, the two parties wisely decided to set up a working government by agreeing on the points they could agree on and leaving the rest for future negotiation.

THE decision to invite student delegates to Council meetings is a particularly convenient temporary solution to the problem. It will provide Cliffies with effective representation on the Council while also offering the Trustees evidence that student participation is necessary and should be regularized.

The Council decision shifts the responsibility for successful government back to the students. The constitution provides the basis for a student government that gives students effective power in influencing the College government, but a convincing student vote is necessary to make it work.