Assistant Dean Is Named; Reynolds Stays Extra Year

Leahy Will Take Trottenberg Post

By Richard R. Edmonds

Dean Ford today will nominate Richard G. Leahy an administrator here for the last seven years, to the post of Assistant Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences for Resources and Planning.

The Corporation is expected to routinely approve the replacement for Arthur D. Trottenberg '48, who resigned last week to become an executive of the Ford Foundation.

Leahy said yesterday that he, like Trottenberg, would be in charge of "intermediate to long-range planning of University resources." But he would not speculate on changes he might make in the powerful and flexible administrative job, commenting, "I don't even know where all the door knobs in the office are yet."

Seven years ago Leahy came here as assistant director of laboratories of the Division of Engineering and Applied Physics, and soon became director, a post he still holds. For the last two years he has also worked on Harvard's connections with the Federal government in the office of Charles P. Whitlock, President Pusey's assistant for Civic and Governmental Relations.

Nuts and Bolts'

His work for the division brought him into frequent contact with Trottenberg as he and his counterpart for Chemistry Laboratories discussed plans for expansion. His work in Whitlock's office, Leahy said, was less concerned with "the nuts and bolts aspect of finding federal funding for projects" than solving particular problems for the University raised by changes in laws governing patents and publication.

Dean Ford said yesterday that Trottenberg's arrangement with the Ford Foundation will allow him to come back one day each week to Cambridge "so I don't anticipate any difficulty in the transition."

Science Planning

The science resource planning tasks which Leahy has had experience with are just a part of his new job. He will be Dean Ford's chief assistant for a variety of institutions administered by the Faculty of Arts and Sciences including the Fogg, Carpenter Center, and the Houses.