Around-the-Clock Construction Din Prompts Loud Complaints at 'Cliffe

Does your Cliflie look tired and rundown these days?

Pneumatic drills and around-the-clock water pumps like the ones at the construction of Radcliffe's new Currier House could get even a Harvard man down.

Before their complaints charmed construction men into promising that an efficient muffler for the pump will be installed today, residents of Daniels Hall, directly adjacent to the new House, were contemplating sabotage, sedatives, and soul music to drown out the noise.

But that still leaves the pneumatic drills, which provide a rude awakening at 7:15 a.m. Solutions to the pulsating vibrations ranged from clogging the pistons with molasses to picking off the operators with B-B guns.

A large number of the girls still seriously feel that they should be allowed to move off campus during the duration of construction.

"The distracting din, the dust, plus the lack of privacy concomitant with the construction crew outside your window, really make the situation intolerable," commented Joan Braderman '70. "We should have the right to remove ourselves from this," she said.

Thirty-five Daniels residents have also presented a petition to Mrs. Bunting asking that the noise be cut down. Last night she promised to commission a "noise profile" of the construction area.

Ray Luttazi, superintendent of the construction, seemed confident that things would improve.

"We'll be using the drills for just two or three more days, and after that the only noise during the day will be an occasional crane," he said.