SPORTS of the 'CRIME'

"Monday Morning"

By Richard D. Paisner

This is an interesting day in the Ivies for several reasons. First, there are two key games. Our own Harvard team plays Dartmouth, and a title favorite and a title upstart, Princeton and Pennsylvania, meet in Philadelphia. A third key game, although the outcome isn't really in doubt is:

Yale vs. Cornell

Brian Dowling's offense has been a wonder to behold so far this year; the Elis have pounded their first four opponents. And the defense has been adequate, although it has not been seriously challenged. Cornell showed us last week that it has no offense, and if Lalich and the boys got 10 points on a wet field, then Yale will score more than enough to win. The comparative score will be closely watched by Harvard Coach John Yovicsin. It will be about Yale 23, Cornell 3.

Groans of Loss

Columbia vs. Rutgers

Marty Domrcs is a fine quarter-back, but Rutgers, which has split with its first two Ivy opponents, has too much for the Lions. Baker's Field will resound to the groans of still another loss. Rutgers 21, Columbia 9.

Brown vs. Colgate

The Bruins disappointed us last weekend. It looked so fine: a Dartmouth team traveling down to Providence to get dumped by lowly Brown. But, then alas, the schedule had been misread. It was the opposite: Brown was going to Hanover--to get butchered. Providence gets the action this weekend for what used to be a traditional Thanksgiving Day game. Brown's a bunch of turkeys. Colgate 31, Brown 0.

Penn vs. Princeton

Franklin Field will be crowded today. If my Ivy favorites, the Tigers are going to reverse last week's humiliation by Colgate, they are going to have to play quite well. Penn has found out what it's like to win, and much to my chagrin, will shock the old guard in a wild one: 12-10.

Harvard vs. Dartmouth

Two years ago, a Harvard team, consigned to the second division by the pre-season experts, rose up in one of the Ivy League's great performances to humble these same Indians, 19-14, and went on to tie for the title.

17-15 Again

Already there are some who are predicting similar heroics for this year's edition. There are differences, however.

Dartmouth is not as strong as it was, although the Big Green may be fired up after smashing Brown 48-0 last weekend. Harvard's defense seems the equal of the 1966 team and the backfield of Hornblower, Crim, Gatto, Lalich--sounds like a stockbrokerage firm--compares well to the Bobby Leo, Ric Zimmerman ensemble.

The big difference between the two Harvard teams is the 1968 unit's lack of consistency. But I'm seeing stars: Harvard 17, Dartmouth 15.