Crimson Fencers Rout Tech 21-6; Win Raises Season Record to 5-1

The Harvard fencing team routed M.I.T. last night, 21-6, at M.I.T., moving its record to five victories against one defeat.

The single loss of the season was to Columbia over the weekend in a 9-18 contest. Harvard won only one foil against Columbia. They did little better in the epee events, taking only three.

Agains M.I.T. it was a different story. Overall the fencers won eight sabre, six foil, and seven epee contests. Captain Ron Winfield, Larry Cetrulo, Tony Abbott and Pat Pankhurst all won two events in the sabre. Pankhurst had the only loss in this weaponclass against M.I.T. Winfield and Cetrulo have won consistently for Harvard all season. In the foil Tom Keller was the only double winner as Tom Mistick, Sam Fouts, Cliff Ruderman, and Art Weissman each took one foil.

Irvings Shines

Mark Irvings' three victories in the epee was the individual high for Harvard. Irvings, after a slow start, has been coming on strong in recent meets. Geza Tatrallvay scored two epee victories while John Reitz and Paul Viita each won one.

The fencers will not compete again until February 8 when the host N.Y.U. The team needs only two more victories to better last year's disappointing record of 7-8.