SDS Resolution Calls For No Scholarship Reduction

SDS passed a resolution last night demanding that none of the scholarships of the Paine Hall demonstrators be reduced as a consequence of probation.

The resolution, proposed by Mark Y. Liberman '69, will be sent to the dean of the College and other College administrators.

"The Faculty did not raise the important questions about punishment," Lawrence R. Berger '70 said. "It is not clear which actions would activate the suspended sentences, and no restrictions were placed on the Administration's power to reduce scholarships," Berger added.

Dow Demonstration

After last year's Dow sit-in, the Faculty specified that the demonstrator's probation would not involve the reduction of scholarships. That specification was not passed with regard to the Paine Hall demonstrators.

One senior tutor said last night that it seemed the Faculty still has the power to decide about scholarships if they choose to do so. "This summer, the Faculty Committee on Financial Aid limited the total possible reduction in scholarships as a result of probation to $500 a year per student," he said. "Most reductions in scholarships are converted to loans," he added.

Previously, the Committee on Financial Aid was able to rescind all scholarship funds from a student put on probation.

The SDS resolution also stated that they would ignore the Administration's attempted intimidation and would continue to fight ROTC until it is abolished.

Faculty Intimidation

"Instead of discussing the question of ROTC, the Faculty intimidated us and then invited us to sit down and talk," Alan Gilbert, a third year graduate student in Government said.

"By punishing 'chronic offenders' more seriously, the Faculty is saying they look down on anything effective enough to produce real discussion," he added.

No Illusions

"We can't build up illusions of the graciousness of the Administration," James T. Kilbreth '69 said. "The Administration failed in its attempt to suspend students only in the face of strong opposition from students and Faculty," he added.

"By keeping the CEP resolution silent until just before the Faculty meeting, the Administration has shown that its interest lie in preserving ROTC," Kilbreth said.