Kirkland, Eliot, Leverett House Take Tackle Football Contests

Kirkland, Eliot, and Leverett won yesterday as the tackle football season began in house athletics. In touch football. Quincy crushed highly-rated Winthrop, 40-12. for its fourth consecutive victory and its 12th straight win over two seasons.

Fullback Joe Haslitt scored touchdowns on a short run and on a screen pass from Pete Bernhard, and the Kirkland defense didn't allow Lowell any first downs in Kirkland's 12-0 victory on Webster Field.

Cheerless Lowell

Lowell's coach. Mike Fox, was disappointed, but pointed out that Kirkland, which has tremendous depth, might be a "real power" this fall. Fox was also unhappy that Lowell's Radcliffe cheerleaders did not attend. "This may have been a big factor." he said.

Quincy's tackle team scored its first touchdown in two years, but a holding penalty nullified the extra points, and Eliot won. 7-6, "It was a real heartbreaker." Quincy's Rick Barton said.

Sophomore halfback Jack Schylling scored the Quincy touchdown after Brian Harris recovered a fumble deep in Eliot territory. But a hike over the head of Joe Tibbetts. Quincy's punter, was recovered in the end zone by Eliot for the equalizing tally.

Adams and Leverett were battling in a scoreless tie until with two minutes left. the Bunnies intercepted a pass at the Adams 25-yard line and tallied on the runback. "For Adams, we've got a decent team." said Dan Levin, the athletic secretary.

Dan Morgan. captain of Quincy's defensive unit in touch football, intercepted a Winthrop pass and flipped to Rich Ruiz for a touchdown to put his team in front, 12-6, and lead the way to another victory yesterday. Morgan, however, suffered a sprained ankle later in the game and will be out indefinitely.