Cornell Tailback Is Main Threat

By Bennett H. Beach

If Harvard's defense is to continue to stifle its opponents this year, it must find a way to stop Cornell's sophomore tailback, Ed Marinaro, from gaining his usual yardage Saturday at Ithaca.

The Big Red's basic play is a handoff by one of the two quarterbacks. Bill Arthur and Rick Furbush. to Marinaro, who selects the biggest hole he can find and runs through it. This strategy is used because of coach Jack Musick's great confidence in Marinaro's ability to find running room.

While Cornell has been losing its first three games, the 6' 21/2". 205-pound tailback has gained over half of his team's total yardage. He has rushed 562 yards, while the other five runners on the team have combined for 185 yards. Despite the fact that he has carried about 35 times each game, he is averaging 5.4 yards per attempt.

Marinaro combines powerful running with good moves, and is a break-away threat. His three touchdowns have all been on runs of over 20 yards.

There is no question that Marinaro will be running continually against the Crimson line Saturday. Harvard, playing with out Gary Farneti at linebacker, must find a way to keep him below his average of 187 yards.