Yardling Football, Soccer Squads To Face Local Opposition Today

In its second game of the season, the Harvard freshman football team meets a fast, tough Boston College squad in a 2 p.m. game this afternoon at the Stadium.

"The word is." said freshman coach Henry Lamar. "that B.C. has a halfback who runs the hundred-yard dash in 9.4 seconds. But we don't know that for sure." Boston College usually has a strong freshman team and last year they defeated the Crimson, 20-7.

Strong Attack

The Yardlings, as their 34-7 victory over Columbia showed, have the ability to score and play defense. They have fairly good speed, and their passing attack is strong. The starting backfield for today's game, with Mike Murr and Ted DeMars at the halfbacks and Curt Humphreys at fullback, scored four of Harvard's touchdowns against the Lions. The quarterback will be Erie Crone who passed well against Columbia.

The Crimson defense has looked good in practice this week. Linebacker Mark Ferguson. safeties Barry Malinowski and Steve Golden, and end Phil Robinson have been improving steadily assistant coach B. Thomas Modrak said.

No Predictions

Even though his team played well against the Lions. Lamar wouldn't make any predictions about today's game. "B.C. always has a real good team. Against Columbia, it looked like we had some pretty fast boys, but a big line like B.C. will have could make it entirely different." he said. His biggest task so far has been trying to get his players together so that they will play as a team.

The B.C. freshman team is just one of many strong teams that the Harvard freshmen will face this year. "We have nothing but tough teams left." Lamar said.