Freshman Gridders Overwhelmed By Powerful B. C. Runners, 29-13

Boston College's freshman team employed a steady running attack and an unrelenting defense to hand Harvard's Yardlings their first loss of the season yesterday afternoon, 29-13, at Harvard Stadium.

B. C. dominated play completely as its powerful backfield combination of John Bykowsky, Ralp Hudson, and Steve Macinsky sped past the Yardlings' porous defense for three touchdowns. The passing of Eagle quarterback Joe Pandolfo was sporadic, but he did hit on a live-yard scoring pass early in the fourth quarter.

B. C. took a 7-0 lead on a second-period touchdown by Macinsky, then scored a safety when Harvard cornerback Kevin Murphy was brought down in the end zone after intercepting a Pandolfo pass.

Harvard could not generate any offensive punch, and two fine defensive plays resulted in the Yardlings only points Safety Bruce Johnson stole a Pandolfo pass with 2:07 remaining in the first half and returned it 75 yards to the B. C. five. From there it took the Crimson four plays to score. Quarterback Rod Foster swept right end with five seconds left to narrow the Eagle lead to 9-6. Terry Kasbeer converted to make the half-time score 9-7.

Harvard went ahead in the third quarter when John Ambrozaitis and Richard Bridich smashed Pandolfo as he attempted to pass from his own ten. Pandolfo fumbled, and defensive tackle Bill Jahsmen recovered in the end zone for the Yardlings. The conversion attempt was blocked.

The Eagles regained the lead four minutes later when Hudson followed a trap up the middle for a five-yard touchdown. The extra point put B. C. ahead to stay, 13-16. A one-yard blast by Bycowsky and a six-yard pass from Pandolfo to Macinsky padded the Eagles lead in the fourth period.