Water Poloists Pound Dartmouth in Opener

The Harvard water polo team romped to a 17-12 victory over a game Dartmouth squad at the IAB pool last night in the season opener for both teams. Business School student John Montgomery paced the Crimson with nine goals.

The game was played under a strange mix of NCAA and AAU rules, and there were times when no one seemed to know what was going on. Harvard took a commanding 8-2 lead in the first quarter and stretched it to 11-4 at the half. Crimson reserves played most of the second half, and Dartmouth managed to reduce the Harvard margin to five goals.

Inexperienced

"I thought Dartmouth would have some faster swimmers. Their only problem is that they just don't have enough experience," water polo president Terry Flanagan said after the game. Flanagan needed five stitches over his left eye after receiving an elbow in the first period.

Harvard goalie Peter Kertes, a J.V. soccer player, repeatedly snagged hard shots by Dartmouth's forwards in the second half. Joining Montgomery in the scoring column for the Crimson were Tom McGill with five goals, Leland Faust with two, and Dave Powlison with one.

Montgomery's nine-goal output was especially impressive in light of the fact that he has not attended a practice session this year.