Dartmouth Edges Crimson Ruggers

Harvard's rugby team traded penalty kicks with Dartmouth for two halves of Saturday's game and finally lost in sudden-death overtime on another one, 12-9.

Even though the Crimson couldn't score a try, they controlled play during the first half and led. 3-0, on a penalty kick by All-American fullback Joe Daly.

The Big Green, advancing the ball by cross-kicking from the fly-half, couldn't score a try either, but evened the score at 3-3 on a penalty kick early in the second half. Harvard scored two more penalty kick to make it 9-3 with about ten minutes to go in the game.

Dartmouth wing Craig Breedlove scored next with a 45-yard penalty boot. The tying score came when the Crimson fumbled a field goal attempt and illegally prevented the Big Green from taking its scoring advantage. Dartmouth then scored on another penalty kick.

After two minutes of the overtime period had elapsed. Breedlove won the game on yet another penalty kick, handing the Crimson ruggers their third loss in five games.

"It was one of the best rugby games I've ever played in," said scrum-half Phil Ordway, "but we just didn't get any breaks."

The Crimson "B" team also lost to Dartmouth, 15-5.