Bread A Proclamation...

By Walter J. Sullivnn mayor

ONE OF THE lesser-known privileges of being Mayor of a City (or a governor or President for that matter) is issuing proclamations. Under this practice, which dates back at least to Roman times, a public official issues a statement setting aside a day when the citizens in his jurisdiction will honor a particularly worthy cause.

Today, most proclamations are initiated by public relations men anxious for some free publicity for their clients. A PR man writes a proclamation which is then signed by a public official or his secretary and the PR man hopes, printed in the local media.

Unfortunately, most proclamations are signed, passed on to the media, and then promptly put into what is generally known as the circular file. This is unfortunate, for proclamations contain some of the noblest prose and most heroic sentiments known to present-day man. An example is this proclamation issued last week in Cambridge of which, alas most Cambridgians have been thus far unaware:

WHEREAS:-

Bread-a phenomenon which has become so common to all of us is often taken for granted by all of us; and

WHEREAS:-

One of the basic elements of the American diet is bread and has been described as one of the most basic of nutritional needs which allow for continued and wholesome growth for millions of Americans-and is so essential to the early years of development: and

WHEREAS:-

Bread has been used symbolically throughout the years in association with friendship, peace and comradeship-dating back to the days of Christ on earth: and

WHEREAS:-

In consideration of the significance, both National and International, of this celebration, it is most fitting that the City of Cambridge adopt the concept of a "DAY OF BREAD": now therefore be it

RESOLVED:-

That I. Walter J. Sullivan, Mayor of the City of Cambridge do hereby declare the week of October 26-31 as Harvest Week in the City of Cambridge and also Tuesday, October 28, 1969 as

DAY OF BREAD IN CAMBRIDGE

And urge all of our citizens to join the Baking Industry in recognition of this day as part of the pleasant side of our daily lives.