Most Schools Won't Close October 15

But Instructors May Cancel Their Classes

By David N. Hollander

While the Faculty of Arts and Sciences heads for a showdown Tuesday over the war and the October 15 Vietnam Moratorium, the Harvard Graduate Schools and other Boston-area colleges are also trying to define their policies on the nationwide protest.

The general pattern has been to make classes optional for students and instructors. At Bentley and Simmons Colleges-and probably Northeastern University-all classes will be canceled for the day.

Robert H. Ebert. dean of the Medical School, announced this week that the Med School will remain open October 15, although faculty members may cancel their individual classes. As usual, students will not be required to attend classes.

The same plan has been adopted by the School of Dental Medicine and the School of Public Health.

Elbert said that employees of the Med School who want to join the Moratorium "may arrange to stagger their time so that all may have an equal opportunity to join in the public action."

After a special Law School meeting yesterday, Dean Derek Bok said, "The general sense of that meeting was that the Law School ought not to issue a statement on the war."He said that unless a professor asks for a special faculty meeting next week, the School will remain open October 15, with individual faculty members free to cancel their classes. Student attendance is not normally required.

The Coordinating Committee of the Business School Faculty decided last week that classes will be held October 15, although "an individual instructor may reschedule the meeting of his course if that seems appropriate to him."

The School of Education will not hold regular classes October 15, The faculty voted to devote the day to "discussion of the problems presented" by the war.

The Divinity School Community-an asembly of faculty, students, administrators, and employees-has voted to observe the Moratorium. Consideration by the faculty is expected soon.

Meanwhile, the faculty of the School of Engineering and Applied Physies has approved two resolutions concerning the Moratorium. The first, which passed 28-9, says the faculty "supports the October 15 day of protest against the war in Vietnam."

The second "endorses the right of its individual members to cancel their scheduled classes on that day" The second resolution passed 26-6, with five abstentions.

At other area colleges, the situation appeared to be much the same. The Northeastern University faculty senate endorsed a student request to cancel classes from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., October 15. However, the senate asked that the school year be extended one day to make up for the lost time.

Tufts University will remain open, with individual faculty members free to cancel classes if they make up the lost time. Boston College announced yesterday that its faculty members will be expected to teach during the Moratorium. M. I. T. and B. U. have not yet decided on a policy regarding the Moratorium