Quincy Defeats Lowell in Football; Streak Extended to Eleven Games

Quincy swept both its soccer and football matches from Lowell while Dudley and Winthrop split their matches as the fall battle for the Strauss Cup swung into full action this week.

Quincy's house intramural touch football team extended its unbeaten streak to 11 in a row yesterday, upending Lowell 43-2 in a hotly contested match.

Relying on its top seven men throughout the game. Quincy needed a fourth quarter touchdown and a disputed penalty to hold off the Lowell challenge. Star of the Quincy team was Jim Fabiani, who caught one touchdown pass and threw another to establish the winning margin.

After Fabiani caught a pass from Fernando Gonzalez to open the scoring, Lowell narrowed the gap with a safety and appeared to rush ahead on a long touchdown pass. But the play was called back for an offsides penalty that cost Lowell both the yardage and the down. Lowell objected to the double penalty and played the rest of the game under protest. Cle Landolt threw the scoring pass that wrapped up the game for Quincy.

Solid fullback play brought Quincy its 2-1 victory over Lowell in soccer. Half-back Bob Rock scored first for Quincy on a loft shot from midfield that cleared the upreached hands of the Lowell goalie. Hammy Clark tied the score for Lowell before the half, but Rich Conkling provided the winning score in the third period.

Once again Quincy relied on the luck of the Irish as two Lowell shots hit the post after clearing the goalie. Quincy also blocked a direct penalty kick in the second period.

Dudley House rushed to a 3-0 lead in its soccer game with Winthrop, which was playing with only nine men on the field. Winthrop gained its composure and a full team by halftime but still lost 5-2.