Law Deans Accuse Agnew Of 'Pejorative' Comments

Eleven deans of law schools around the country-including Harvard's Derek C. Bok-signed a statement yesterday which attacks Vice-President Spiro T. Agnew and Secretary of Transportation John A. Volpe for their recent "pejorative and inflammatory" remarks.

Seven Harvard law professors signed the statement, which condemned generalizations that "sweep together both peaceful criticism and irresponsible behavior."

Several former government officials also signed the statement. Among them were Justice Arthur J. Goldberg, former Ambassador to the United Nations; Yale Professor Eugene V. Rostow, Undersecretary of State under President Johnson; and William P. Bundy, former Assistant Secretary of State for Far Eastern Affairs.

Agnew recently called Vietnam Moratorium leaders "an effect corps of impudent snobs," while Volpe this week linked anti-war protestors to communism.

Donald F. Turner, professor of Law and one of the signers, said last night, "It's not going to contribute to an appropriate solution to any issue to have the mutual escalation of diatribes that seems to be going on."

The statement called for a more rational discussion of the war, "conducted with dignity and decorum." and urged that "all parties... recognize the good faith and high patriotism of those on the other side."

Patriotism Not the Issue

"I think there is the danger that the administration will attempt to change the question of the Vietnam War into an issue of patriotism or non-patriotism. Any such change would be very dangerous to the country." one signer said last night.

The group was split on actual policy considerations. The statement began, "We are a group of citizens whose views differ as to the proper method of ending the war in Vietnam."