Mud, Miscues Upset JV Booters As Bruins Salvage 3-3 Deadlock

"Ties are becoming a way of life for us, and I'm not particularly happy about it." Harvard JV soccer coach Seamus Malin said after the Crimson had tied the Brown JV. 3-3. last Saturday morning on the intramural field.

The tie was the JV's second in as many weeks, its third of the season. and its second with Brown, The Crimson tied Princeton. 2-2, two weekends ago.

Harvard Dominated

Harvard dominated play completely, but simply could not convert scoring opportunities into goals. "We had nice passing and good long balls, but we just couldn't put the ball in the net. We gave them a tie." Malin said Monday.

It was Harvard mistakes, not Brown finesse, which were responsible for the Bruins' three goals. Each of Brown's scores resulted from a failure by the Crimson defense to mark properly on the small intramural field.

Harvard went ahead 1-0 early in the game when David Wylie put a hard shot past the Bruin goalie from ten yards out. A Brown fast break resulted in a corner kick late in the first period, and an unmarked Bruin forward headed the ball in to tie the game at 1-1.

There was no scoring in the second period. but Peter Kertes converted a penalty shot in the third quarter to give Harvard a short-lived advantage. Brown evaded Crimson goalie Larry Anderson on another fast break minutes later, and the score was tied 2-2.

Brown took the lead on a long ball ten minutes into the last stanza. then Kertes got the game's final score on another penalty kick four minutes later.