Bruins' Burgess Is Back of Week After 24-17 Win

For the second week in a row and the third time in six weeks, the Ivy League Back of the Week earned that distinction in a win over Harvard. Junior quarterback Chris Burgess, starting in his second game, was given the honor after Brown's 24-17 upset of the Crimson Saturday in Providence.

Burgess completed 12 of 19 passes for 146 yards and came through on several crucial plays under pressure to give the Bruins their first Ivy League win of the season and first over Harvard in ten years. His performance moved him into sixth place among league passers-just ahead of the Crimson's Dave Smith.

Bryan Marini started the season as Brown's established quarterback and one of the team's most dependable players. But the Bruins' quarterback situation turned out to be as shaky as Penn's and Harvard's and Burgess, third string at the season's start, was put in against Princeton November 1.

Cinema Verite

Marini had been blamed for much of the team's poor showing, and after a 20-6 loss to Colgate four weeks ago, coach Len Jardine said. "The thing that I am disturbed about is the criticism that is being leveled against our quarterback, Bryan Marini, Bryan called a fine game, and the films bear this out."

Yet the next week, Marini got a rest during part of the Princeton game while Jardine experimented with Burgess and Bob Zink, and then Jardine started Burgess against Cornell and Harvard.

Silver Lining

But if Ivy statistics are a gloomy set of figures for the Crimson, there are two bright spots. Gary Singleterry, second in the League last year, leads the punters this Fall with a 40.6 yard average. Ray Hornblower is third among league rushers.