Eli Linebackers, Lineman Big Asset; Leading Yale to Surprising Success

By Bennett H. Beach

People have been impressed with Harvard's defense this Fall. But Yale's is probably better, and is certainly more consistent: and early in the season when the Elis struggled to win, it was the defense which compensated for a sporadic offense.

Just as the Eli defense is better than the offense, the line play and line backing are better than the secondary. It was evident last year that there would be at least three excellent players-captain Andy Coe. Jim Gallagher, and Tom Neville. But the others could only be said to have potential.

Only two of the seven up front are seniors, and though Yale seemed to be strongest at those position, there was doubt that the seven could do much more than an adequate job for a team which was rated as delineate second-division material.

Horatio Alger

Yet, after last Saturday's crucial win over Princeton, Yale ranks in the top 12 nationally in defense, and even higher in defense against rushing. Opponents have averaged only 100 yards per game on the ground.

The core of this unit is clearly the line backing of Coe and Ron Kell, a junior who was switched to linebacker this Fall. "Andy Coe and Ron Kell are as hard-nosed a pair of linebackers as there is in the league," said Penn coach Bob Odell.

Kell has been a surprise and coach Carm Cozza said that he was the outstanding defensive player in the Bulldogs' triumph over Brown. Kell is also largely responsible for Yale's great success in stopping Cornell's Ed Marinaro. His jarring tackle in the first quarter injured Marinaro, who was ineffective thereafter and finally taken out.

Coe was also outstanding in the Cornell game which Yale w?? ??? Cozza said afterwards. "You've got to give Andy a beck of a lot of credit. He calls the defensive signals and keeps everyone on their toes out there: he's done a whale of a job as a linebacker and as our captain." Coe has also won the coin toss six times.

Gallagher and Paul Jones, one of the sophomores, are at the ends. Gallagher. UPI All-Ivy second team end last year as a sophomore, has blocked five punts this Fall. "Jim Gallagher is just one outstanding football player." said Frank Navarro, the Columbia coach.

Before pre-season practice began, there were six players from which to choose the left defensive end, but Jones was not one of the six. He did well in camp, however, and established himself as the number one man at that position.

The tackles are the only two of the seven who weigh over 200 pounds. Junior Tom Neville, the left tackle, is particularly known for his strong pass rush, which helped him earn post-season honors last Fall Colgate's Neil Wheelwright said. "Tom Neville and Andy Coe are probably as fine a pair of defensive players as we'll see all year."

Heavy Inexperience

The other tackle, Hawaiian sophomore Rich Lolorai, is perhaps the most exciting lineman to watch. Lolotai, who weighs 255 pounds, was expected to be a real problem for opposing quarterbacks. It was feared his mistakes due to inexperience might outweigh his contributions, but he has learned quickly.