Protest Groups Steal Orchestra Manpower

Fewer students are playing in the Harvard-Radcliffe Orchestra (HRO) this semester "partially because people would rather march for social causes than play in an orchestra," according to James D Yannatos, conductor of HRO.

Yaunatos said, "There are a great many pressures on the student for his time: one-the explication of the Vietnam war." This year HRO has lost five members to the November Action Committee.

Small Turn-out

Only 50 students auditioned this fall, 15 people less than last year, and the total membership has dropped from 77 last year to 60. More disconcerting than the small turn-out of musicians for HRO was the "very great fall-out immediately before and after the first concert," said Marion Severynse '71, HRO secretary. Many of these musicians were pulled into this fall's new performance seminars.

Other music groups, besides the seminars, are competing with HRO this year-the newly revived wind ensembles, theBach Society, and individual chamber music groups that meet in the dorms. "Between all these, it's difficult to find people who are willing to give HRO time," explained Charles C. Hefling Jr. '71, HRO vice-president.

Although the orchestra does have specific shortages-only one string bass, and four violas where they need nine-HRO plans to give three concerts this fall.