Anti-War Group Supports HUC-Backed Blood Drive

Donors in next week's HUC-sponsored blood drive will be able to register their protest against the bloodshed in Vietnam at the same time.

The Vietnam Moratorium Committee, which supports the drive, will provide petitions which donors can sign to express their opposition to the Vietnam war.

"The idea arose as an answer to charges that demonstrators are 'effete snobs' who can go out and demonstrate but not do anything tangible." Jeffrey Nims '71, a director of the drive, said.

The anti-war approach was made possible by a change in Red Cross regulations. Previously, people under 21 were required to obtain written parental consent before donating blood. For this reason, past blood drives began collecting signatures of pledged donors early in the fall term.

This year, however, people over 18 will not need a parent's consent to donate blood, and the drive organizers can collect signatures throughout the week of the drive, which will begin December 1 in Memorial Hall.

"We're going to try to get people against the war to demonstrate their beliefs," Nims said, "and we're trying not to alienate people who don't support the Moratorium Committee."

A Moratorium Committee statement said, "By giving blood we can demonstrate to ourselves, to Mr. Nixon, to the increasingly sympathetic 'silent majority,' and to the world, that our deepest commitments to life, to peace, and to the living."

The HUC blood drive last year solicited donations from Faculty members, graduate students, and employees. This year, those three groups will receive letters prepared and mailed by the University Health Services. The HUC is responsible for Harvard and Radcliffe student donors, who do not receive letters.

Because of the blood drives, which are held semiannually in December and April, all Harvard University students and employees, and all members of their families, will receive free blood if they need it.

The blood will be given first to the Stillman Infirmary, with the remainder going to hospitals in the area.

HUC volunteers will solicit signatures of students pledging blood in the dining halls this week and next week. Anybody who wishes, however, can walk into Memorial Hall next week and volunteer blood.