Matmen Host Franklin and Marshall; Sophomores Bolster Diplomat Lineup

Riding the crest or victories over Wesleyan and Brown, the Harvard varsity wrestling team hosts Franklin and Marshall at 2:30 p.m. today in the IAB.

Four outstanding sophomores bolster the Diplomat lineup, and Harvard coach John Lee is expecting a tight match, "This is definitely our toughest match to date." he said yesterday. "We've got to do well in the last four weights to stay in the meet."

The Crimson will again be hampered by its weakness in the lower weight classes-Harvard has been outscored 21-5 in the lightweights this year-and a heavy-weight sweep is unlikely today.

Two of the F and M sophomores, Chris Black (118) and Joe Andrews (134) are clearly the favorites in matches with Harvard's Jay Galeski (118) and Bill Wasserstrom (134). Crimson senior Tom Schnorr (126) will go against John Hilliard, who defeated Schnorr. 19-9, in their last meeting.

Today's most crucial match will set Harvard's Pat Coleman (150) against Doug Ward. Coleman barely edged Ward in the quarterfinals of the eastern championships last year, and a Ward victory will diminish the Crimson's chances of winning. "We have to win at 150," Lee said.

The 158-pound bout is also a "must" for Harvard. Colin Mangrum started against Wesleyan and Brown, but Dean Sheppard won a wrestle-off yesterday to earn the starting position this afternoon.

Tony Rayner (177). who came through with big wins in the Crimson's two outings. will be hard pressed by another of the F and M sophomores. John Stevenson. Stevenson was undefeated last winter until he lost in the finals of the freshman eastern tournament.

Captain Paul Catinella (142) faces the fourth Diplomat sophomore. Andy Nole. Nole. unbeaten as a freshman, will be starting his first varsity match. He was injured for the season opener against Columbia.

Heavyweight Tony Abbott will try to rebound from an upset loss to Brown's Frank Walsh Wednesday night. He meets F and M heavyweight Aaron Malinski, who according to Lee. "flops around a lot."

Mark Faller and Dave Seanlon, unbeaten at 167 and 190 respectively, should win their bouts handily.

The freshman team wrestles the UCONN freshmen at 2 p.m. today in Storrs.