NEWSBRIEFS

A Boston City ordinance passed last week will make hitchhiking in the City more difficult and possibly more expensive.

The ordinance has raised the maximum fine for hitching from $20 to $50 and established a $50 fine for drivers picking up hitchers.

According to Boston police officer Richard Conboy, the act will definitely limit hitching by college students. "We're not going to rush out and arrest people. We'll probably follow a policy of moderate enforcement-telling people to stop hitchhiking rather than bridging them in and fining them," he said. But he added, "As soon as someone gets robbed or assaulted while hitchhiking, we'll probably have to have a real crackdown."

The new law follows state laws enacted over the summer broadening the definition of hitchhiking and the latitude allowed the cities in deciding punishments. The same set of laws imposed a $50 fine for hitching on the Mass Pike.

Cambridge has been relatively unaffected by the furor. "We've had this type of ordinance for a long time." said one patrolman. He added that it was "unlikely" that their enforcement policies would change.

B-School May End Quota

The Business School is considering a proposal to lift the quota on the number of foreign students admitted to the MBA program. This would do away with the current limit of ten per cent, permitting an estimated 120 foreign students to enter next year's class of 750 students.

Charles A, Judge. assistant admissions director for Overseas Students. said that the quota was instituted after Word War II to insure a minimum of foreign students who might not otherwise be admitted. But now the quota has the opposite effect and forces the MBA program to reject many well qualified candidates, especially from Europe and English-speaking countries, he said.

Last year the Business School admitted 16 out of 130 English applicants.

Judge said he favors eliminating the quota except for a five per cent minimum for non-English speaking countries in Asia, Africa. and Latin America-a proposal now under the consideration of the Admissions Policy Committee (APC).

The APC's report must in turn be approved by the Business School faculty. Judge admitted that faculty opposition might stem from foreign students' increased need for financial aid and their lower rate of alumni donations.

New Laws on Student Strikes

Several Statehouse politicians have introduced bills to require the automatic expulsion or firing of any student or faculty members who go on strike at public institutions of higher learning.

Among them is a gaggle of bills presented by Rep, Matthew J. Kuss (D-Fall River) which would "cope with the problems presented by intolerant students on our state college campuses."

Kuss said that his bills would require the immediate dismissal of any students who strike at state colleges. Another bill would give state college presidents the authority to suspend any faculty member who endangers the students or the educational program of the college.

Kuss has also introduced a bill which seeks to prohibit "circulation and publication of excessively obscene literature at public institutions of higher learning." and to dismiss anyone engaging in such activities.

"These students are subsidized by tax-payers," said Kuss. "They should be more respectful of their burden and expense. They should be more tolerant."

Faculty Letter Opposes Punishment

Twenty-four members of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences signed a letter urging that "none of the black and white students and employees who raised demands against Harvard's racist practices be punished."

The letter, which will appear in the Jan. 5 CRIMSON, said that. "action by students and others demanding change was necessary" when Harvard reacted to demands by defending its "racist practices."

The statement endorsed the demands of students and condemned the University's policy of "relegating blacks to the classification of 'painter's helper' in which they earn less money than 'painters' for doing the same work." They recommended that "all 'painter's helpers' be promoted immediately to 'painters 'and that 20 percent black and other minority group workers be hired at all levels at Harvard construction sites" -one of OBU's demands.

The Faculty members expressed concern for the "repression and intimidation against black people which permeates our society." "It is time for faculty members to take an explicit stand against racism," the letter said.

Signers

Among the twenty-four Faculty members who signed were: Hilary W. Putman. professor of Philosophy: Jack R. Stauder. instructor in Social Anthropology: Jonathan R. Beckwith. professor of Bacteriology and Immunology; and David J. Jhirall, instructor in Astronomy.

New Art Institute

Harvard is setting up a summer institute which will teach management and administration of the creative arts.

The new institute will be a summer program which will concentrate in three basic areas: management, administration of art organizations, and impact of management of artistic objectives.

"This is not a pilot program," said Douglas Schwalbe, promotion director of the Loeb Drama Center and the director of the program. "This institute perceives a need in the field of the arts-that of administrators This program is the first of its kind in the United States."

The program, called the Summer School Institute in Arts Administration, will last four weeks in July, with an enrollment of about 50 students

The institute will have a fixed curriculum with no electives. Case analyses will be the basis of classroom discussion. "The case method will involve written descriptions of actual situations with enough details for students to make judgments on individual cases." Schwalbe said.