Harriers Name Spengler Captain: Colburn Wins Don French Award

By Bennett H. Beach

Tom Spengler was named captain of next year's team and Keith Colburn won the French Award at Tuesday night's cross-country banquet at the Faculty Club.

Spengler has been a consistent high finisher for the Crimson during the past two years, but he missed the last half of this season because of a hip injury. Spengler set a course record at Cornell when he led Harvard to a rout of the Big Red.

In presenting the J. D. French Memorial Award. Ed Meehan '64 said that Colburn, this year's captain. "typified the McCurdy type of runner" because of his dogged determination. He noted that Colburn was known for his track ability and worked hard to become good in cross country.

The award is given to the runner who "shows outstanding improvement and or makes a significant contribution to the team." Colburn won four races, including the Heptagonals, set two course records, and finished third in the 1C4A's.

Take The Apple Award

Master of ceremonies John Heyburn presented the Andrew O'Relily Take the Apple Award, named after a Villanova harrier, to Erik Roth for his 180th finish in the 1C4A's. Heyburn pointed out that Roth had come back to earn 26th in the lottery.

Dave Pottetti and Roy Shaw, who missed buses, meets, and practices during the season, missed the dinner.