Basketball Team Faces Tough Dartmouth Squad

When the Crimson basketball team went to Hanover for its season finale last year. it fell prey to an outstanding individual performance from Alex Win.

The 6'6 forward who scored 30 points and gathered 13 rebounds in the 83-71 Dartmouth win, is back this season. Harvard returns to Hanover tonight and must control him if it expects to start its Ivy League schedule with a victory.

Coach Bob Harrison is confident in his players' ability and desire. "The boys really believe in themselves and really want to win." he said. "After the St. John's game [which Harvard lost 73-62] they talked basketball all the way to the airport. And usually after a loss the trip is a pretty quiet one," he said.

Coming from a good showing against St. John's Thursday night, the Crimson will be using some of the defenses against the Green that helped contain St. John's Harrison plans to use a full court press again. man-to-man this time instead of zone. to rattle Dartmouth's young guards.

The Crimson will have to do more than rattle Dartmouth's guards, however. With 6' 10" center Jim Masker. 6" 7" forward Tom Byron, and Win, Dartmouth has a definite height advantage under the boards.

But two of the players in its forward line are sophomores, and their lack of experience at the varsity level may make the rebounding job of the Crimson's more seasoned front line a bit easier.

Dartmouth Undefeated

Dartmouth in two non-league games against Worcester Tech and Vermont, is undefeated. Thursday night the Big Green whipped Vermont in Burlington, 91-73, proving its potential.

Dartmouth's win in last season's finale pushed the Big Green to a sixth-place finish, 4-?. in the Ivy League race, and the Crimson into seventh. 3-11, Harrison and his team hope to avenge that loss, and a Harvard win will augur well for a successful Ivy League season.

Princeton, Columbia, and Penn, the first three finishers in the Ivy League last year, are expected to battle it out for the title again this winter. Fourth place is a toss-up between Harvard. Yale Dartmouth, and Cornell.

The Crimson won't have an easy time against Dartmouth. But if Harvard puts the clamps on Win with a tenacious man-to-man defense, and if Ernie Hardy. George Yates, and Mike Janzeewski control the boards, the Crimson could start its Ivy Leagne season on the right foot.

The Harvard freshmen, after a narrow loss to an excellent St. John's team, should handle the Dartmouth freshmen, even though the Big Green has two fine players in 6' 5" forward Robin Derry and a 6' guard from New York City James Brown.