Harvard Ignores Protest at M.I.T.

It appears that few Harvard researchers will join in the March 4 "research stoppage" planned by researchers at M.I.T. to protest Government misuse of science and technology.

The stoppage is intended mainly as a protest against the Government's planned deployment of the Sentinel antiballistic missile system. During the stoppage prominent speakers will argue against this system and will also seek to promote interest in projects of social benefit.

Matthew S. Meselson, Harvard professor of Biology, who will be speaking on biological warfare at M.I.T. during the work stoppage, said yesterday that he had not heard much talk about the protest at Harvard. Explaining his participation in the protest, he said, "I think that there is very little way for people to find out with any authoritativeness just what purposes science is used for by the DOD."

Another Harvard professor planning to participate in the program is George Wald, Higgins Professor of Biology. About 45 M.I.T. professors are sponsoring the demonstration with simultaneous one-day stoppages scheduled at Yale, Cornell, and possibly other universities.