Swordsmen Face Penn Tomorrow

Harvard's varsity fencing team takes on Pennsylvania's swordsmen tomorrow in one of the most important matches of the season.

The Quakers were rated the prime contender to dump perennial champion Columbia until last week when Princeton gained a last-minute victory over Penn, 14-13.

Harvard did surprisingly well against Columbia last week, finally bowing, 15-12. An especially strong showing by the epee squad, led by Mark Irvings, threw a scare into the haughty Lions, but a weak foil team which won only one of its nine matches gave Columbia the win.

In the Columbia meet Harvard had the advantage of surprise. The Lions were overconfident and seemed unaware of the improvement in the Crimson swordsmen. Penn is not only fully aware of Harvard's potential but will be spoiling for a victory after the loss to Princeton.

Harvard coach Edo Marion switched his star sabreman for the Columbia meet. Using team captain Ron Winfield in the number one position and sophomore Larry Cetrulo in the number two spot meant that the more experienced man would fence first.

Wins over Penn and, on February 22, over Princeton could enable Harvard to finish higher in the Ivy League than it has since the league was founded in 1956.