Squashmen Defeat Princeton, 6-3; Fencers Challenge Rutgers Today

The Harvard varsity fencers, badly in need of a win after a disastrous loss to Penn last Saturday, will challenge non-league Rutgers today at New Brunswick.

With the experience of a much stronger league Harvard should prove the better team. Although winless in Ivy competition, the fencers have compiled a 5-1 record in non-league matches.

The strategy coach Edo Marion plans to follow demands that the team do well in both the sabre and epee weapons while taking at least three points in the foil. The foil is Harvard's weakest sword, and poor showings in this weapon have accounted for two of the team's three losses.

Epee Strongest

The epee is the team's strongest weapon. Sophomore Mark Irvings, who has been Harvard's most consistent winner this season, gives the team reliable strength in the epee. John Reitz, another strong epee fencer, could combine with Irvings to take first and second against Rutgers.

The Crimson has a possible sweep threat in the sabre. The sabre team of captain Ron Winfield, Larry Cetrulo, and Tony Abbott have been particularly strong facing non-league opponents.

Ten fencing team will renew Ivy competition Saturday when they travel to Princeton to face the league's first-place team.

The varsity squashmen rebounded from last Saturday's upset at Penn, by overpowering Princeton, 6-3, on the Tigers' courts, Wednesday virtually assuring them a second straight national title.

By duplicating Penn's 6-3 victory over the Tigers, Harvard maintained its five-point lead over the Quakers in individual matches. The squashmen must defeat a weak Yale team Saturday to retain the national crown.

In Wednesday's match, Anil Nayar and Larry Terrell once again dominated their foes; neither gave up a game. Number three man Fritz Hobbs had more trouble defeating his opponent, 17-15, 13-15, 15-8, 9-15, 15-13. Hobbs, who loves to control the center of the court and whack the ball ferociously, was forced to try more corner shots on the fast Princeton courts.

Fernando Gonzales and John Ince, both inspired after "almost" matches at Penn, played aggressively and won, 3-0 and 3-1, respectively.

Ed Atwood had the closet scare of his Harvard squash career in winning, 11-15, 18-17, 18-16, 17-18, 15-8. His opponent Bill Swigart was the first player to take a game off Atwood all year.

Michael Scheinmann, Steve Whitman, and Jaime Gonzales were not fortunate as they all bowed to their Tiger counterparts.