Tankmen To Face Cornell; Penn Matmen Pose Threat

Wrestling

By Bennett H. Beach

The varsity wrestlers host Pennsylvania this afternoon at 3 p.m. in the IAB in a showdown between the only undefeated teams in the Ivy League.

Penn is 4-0 in the league, as compared to Harvard's 3-0. The Quakers are a well-experienced team, having won the title last year with a 6-0 mark. The Crimson, on the other hand, is made up mostly of sophomores, who have developed quickly.

Sad Fact

It is a sad fact that Penn has won 18 meets in a row, and it is equally unfortunate that six of the Quakers are undefeated. Captain Howie Chatterton is the only unbeaten Crimson grappler.

Paul Catinella, Pat Coleman, Bart Harvey, Mark Faller, and John Imrie will all have to wrestle opponents who have yet to lose this season. Most of these competitors are in the middle weight classes, and a couple of them must win to keep Harvard in contention.

Harvard must get strong performances, preferably victories, from its first couple of men. Chatterton at 167 and Tripp at unlimited are probably the most likely Crimson successes. Either team could win, but Penn is the favorite.

In their most recent meet, the Crimson grapplers downed a tough Rutgers team, 18-14. The decisive points were those earned by Tripp in the unlimited bout, as he beat 238-pound Paul Milea, 6-5. Coach John Lee is very pleased with Tripp, who has been improving consistently.

Slims Win

Harvard's lightweights were responsible for most of the points, however, as they won the first four matches to build a 12-0 advantage. Only Catinella's bout was close, as Bruce Goodman, Tom Schnorr, and Coleman won with relative ease.

Lee considers Rutgers a very strong team, better than most of the Ivy League squads. Another reason for their strength was the fact that four of their wrestlers just became eligible again.