Victories by Mermaids and Skiers Reveal Radcliffe Athletic Prowess

By Dickie Lee

Radcliffe teams in swimming and skiing demonstrated remarkable athletic prowess as they recently captured victories at Radcliffe and Middlebury.

Five pool records were broken as the Cliffies rallied in the final events to down Northeastern and Mount Holyoke. The 50 points collected by the victors were 13 more than the Huskies, and 30 more than Mt. Holyoke, could muster.

Radcliffe has a corps of several outstanding performers. Kathy Fletcher, Eleanor Hobbs, and Laurie Oliver swim on the two best relay teams, as well as compete in individual events. Dottie Horns and Julie Anderson have also proved to be strongarm competitors in a number of events.

The triumph followed a strong performance in the New England Collegiates three weeks ago. Radcliffe will send two of its relay teams to Philadelphia next week to compete in the Nationals.

The skiing team's win earned Radcliffe its fourth consecutive Women's Intercollegiate Ski Conference title, narrowly outpointing Middlebury and Plymouth State on February 7. A sweep of the first two places in the Slalom by Julie Meck and Robin Barnes were the major factors in the 'Cliffie's victory.

The Cliffies were less successful in a meet February 15 at Waterville Valley. Barnes was first and Robin McLane was third among 53 racers, but the University of Massachusetts won the meet, with Radcliffe finishing third.