ROTC Director Contradicts Pell On Harvard Unit

The army officer in charge of ROTC units throughout the country said yesterday that prospects for the Harvard unit's continuing as an extracurricular activity were "extremely good."

Brigadier General C. P. Hannum, director of Army ROTC affairs, said in Washington that he is "sure we'll be able to work something out with Harvard.

His statement runs counter to Col. Robert H. Pell's assertion that the Faculty's action would drive ROTC from Harvard. At a press conference following the Faculty meeting, Pell, commanding officer of Harvard's Army ROTC unit, said that without academic credit, it would be difficult--maybe impossible--to keep the units operating.

BULLETIN

A fire broke out last night at about 11:30 p.m. above the Students' Valet Service in the Square.

The fire demolished three offices in the Harvard Square Theatre building, which the University owns. Fire chief Charles Dilworth said he did not know who rented the offices.

The Harvard Corporation will act on the Faculty's resolution at its regular meeting February 17. Dean Ford noted yesterday that the Corporation has in the past failed to approve recommendations from the Faculty or has asked for revisions. He declined to predict the Corporation's decision.

In other developments, the American Legion will conduct an investigation into the reason for the denial of ROTC course credit at Harvard and Boston University.

James W. McCarty, chairman of ROTC affairs for the Legion's Security Commission of Massachusetts will hear testimony from the commanders of the ROTC units at B.U. and Harvard. The findings will be submitted to Legion headquarters in the State House and then possibly to national headquarters, he said.

McCarty said the Commission deals with "any and all affairs concerning the national security." He declined to give details of the group's past investigations until plans for the meeting could be made definite.