Stendahl Accepts Meeting Request

Krister Stendahl, dean of the Divinity School, accepted a black student request for an open meeting of Divinity students and Faculty to discuss student objections to an official report on the education of black clergy.

Stendahl called the meeting for March 20 in response to a statement--issued Monday by black students--asking for a meeting to discuss the report.

The report, released Thursday by a committee headed by J. Lawrence Burkholder, Victor S. Thomas Professor of Divinity, called for 14 reforms--including recruiting of black students and faculty, and remedial instruction for underprepared black students--to help make the Divinity School into a center for the training of black clergy.

The blacks called this goal "not only inappropriate, but ridiculous." They said that the Burkholder recommendations were based upon "racist paternalistic assumptions."

The blacks said that they wish to use this meeting to ensure that all the views of students and Faculty are voiced before the Divinity School adopts a program that other schools may decide to imitate.

Stendahl said that the blacks' reaction would provide "a good basis from which to discuss implementation of the report."