Terrell Named Captain; Loses Match to Nayar

Junior Larry Terrell justified his selection as captain of next year's squash team yesterday by extending Anil Nayar to five games in the final round of competition for the Foster Cup, annually awarded to Harvard's best squash player.

Before the match, Coach Jack Barnaby described the racquetmen's new leader as "a great player in his own right. If it weren't for Anil, Larry would be the country's best player."

Carrying two of the opening three games, 7-15, 15-6, 15-8, Terrell offered evidence for Barnaby's praise as he positioned himself extremely well and mixed shots out of the back corners.

In the crucial fourth game, the straining Nayar continually hit the tin and was beaten by cross-court volleys; and Terrell rushed to a 12-7 lead.

At that point, Nayar began mixing short drops and side wall shots, and he tied the score at 14-14. Terrell chose to play a one-point set which he lost on a corner shot that was too low.

Terrell Behind

Nayar jumped to a 7-1 lead in the final game with soft drops and long lobs that kept Terrell running. Terrell fought back to 9-11, but Nayar finished the match with three perfect corner placements.

As a sophomore, Terrell lost only one team match and finished second to Nayar in collegiate competition. The high point of his season was a victory over second seed Bob Hetherington, an ex-Yale star, in the National Amateur Tournament.

Terrell played a percentage game this year, and his ball-control style brought him an undefeated record in team competition. Over the season he improved his speed and match strategy and repeated as runner-up in the intercollegiate finals.

Coach Barnaby, although describing Terrell's present game as "a powerful forehand, a skillful backhand, and no weaknesses," predicts that the move to first seed should strengthen the junior's play even more.

As first player, Terrell should gain both experience and confidence from the greater challenges. He is already acknowledged as the heir to Nayar's collegiate title, and his real test will be the National Amateur Championship.

Nayar has set a formidable precedent, but Terrell appears equally capable of continuing the winning tradition.