Gurry Elected Varsity Hockey Captain; Bobby Bauer Wins Tudor Prize as MVP

By Mark H. Odonoghue

Chris Gurry--the highest scoring defenseman in Harvard history--has been elected captain of next year's varsity hockey team.

Gurry's election and the recipients of three hockey awards were announced last night at the alumni-sponsored Annual Hockey Banquet at the Harvard Club of Boston.

Captain Bobby Bauer and junior George McManama were awarded Harvard's two traditional prizes while seniors Chip Otness and Dwight Ware were named co-winners of the newly-established Ralph "Cooney" Weiland Award.

Gurry was the Crimson's only experienced defenseman at the beginning of the season, and the lanky junior was the team's steadiest defensive player while scoring 29 points to set a record for the most points in a season by a Harvard defenseman.

The second team All-Ivy defenseman will be leading a team which is losing only three starters. The heralded line, the first-string goalie, the entire defensive corps, and a talented group of freshmen will be returning, and both Gurry and coach Cooney Weiland considers the tournament-seasoned Crimson a Strong contender for the NCAA championship next year.

The Crimson's greatest loss will be Bauer--the winner of the John Tudor Memorial Cup, given to the team's most valuable player. The hard-working captain tallied the winning overtime goal against UNH in the ECAC opening round and the tying goal in the skaters' overtime win over Michigan Tech in the NCAA's. Bauer's 87 career points put him in the Crimson's all-time top ten scorers.

George McManama won the Donald Angier Hockey Trophy for the greatest general improvement during the season. He began the season as a defenseman without any previous experience, and then shifted to the first line at the middle of the year.

McManama's addition to the first line with Bauer and Ron Mark transformed the line into a powerful scoring threat, and the trio scored five goals in the Colorado tournament.

The new award, given by former undergraduate managers, honors Weiland--who steered the young team to a third-place finish in his 19th season. Ware and Otness, linemates and penalty killers, received the plaque for their "aggressive and spirited play, and selfless contribution to the total team effort."