Wilson Criticizes Harvard Apathy On University Relations to City

James Q. Wilson, professor of Government, and chairman of the Committee on the University and the City, said yesterday that his Committee's report was received apathetically and "greeted by unusual critical silence."

Two Reports

Wilson spoke informally last night at a meeting at the Graduate School of Education. The meeting was called to discuss the School's role in the implementation of the Dunlop and Wilson Reports. Wilson cited the meager attendance--26 people--as illustrating the University community's apathy to the program suggested in the Wilson Report.

The Committee had "naively" expected a strong reaction to their report from the University community, Wilson said. Instead, it has had difficulty arousing interest. "We addressed ourselves to everybody in general and nobody in particular," Wilson said.

George B. Thomas, assistant dean of the Graduate School of Education and a member of the Wilson Committee, noted that other political issues had prevented consideration of the Report by the various faculties.

Saltonstall

The Dunlop Report was also discussed. The Ed School's Dunlop-Wilson Review Committee, headed by William G. Saltonstall, lecturer in Education, emphatically rejected the Dunlop recommendation that the University provide loans to faculty members for the private secondary education of their children.