Road Runner Is Rated 'Super Car'

Popularized by 'Beep-Beep' Ads

NEW YORK, March 14 -- The 1969 Plymouth Road Runner has been named "Best Super Car" in a poll of its readers by Car and Driver Magazine.

The high-performance, low price-class Plymouth, popularized by the familiar "beep-beep" ad campaign since its introduction last model year, garnered 28.5 percent of the votes cast for entries in the Super Car Class of the national magazine's seventh annual Readers' Choice poll. Nine cars were included in the Super Car category.

Of 7,858 ballots tabulated by an independent survey agency, 2,240 chose Road Runner to top the list. Second in the Super Car category was the Dodge Charger with 19.5 percent of the total. Pontiac's GTO/Judge placed third.

"The percentage by which Road Runner won in its category is added testimony to its widespread appeal among the enthusiast community," said Car and Driver publisher Orison B. Curpier.

Glenn E. White, general manager of Chrysler-Plymouth division, said the selection of Road Runner "verifies for us that the concept for this care was right on target. Road Runner was designed to appeal to the enthusiast and has been priced so that it is a true budget Super Car. We are gratified that the readers of Car and Driver have voted it a winner."