Golfers Will play Lord Jeff, Tufts

When the golf team tees up this afternoon against Tufts and Amherst, it has a good chance of winning its first match of the season.

"We were just nosed out by Navy in out first match last Saturday, golf coach Cooney Weiland said. "I'm confident we'll bounce up and beat Tufts and Amherst."

Same Starters

Weiland plans to start the same men who played against Navy. Captain Bruce LoPucki, one of the two winners against the Midshipmen, will be in the number one position.

"I started spring practice poorly in Miami, but my game started to pick up against Georgia," LoPucki said. "I played my finest golf in two or three years against Navy," he added.

LoPucki added that the other members of the team were also playing well. "The team is one of the strongest here in years," he said.

Possible Sleeper

Jack Purdy, playing in the number three position, said that Amherst may be a sleeper. "We saw Amherst play in Florida and they have one good player and another who won the New England individuals last year. They could provide some stiff competition." he cautioned.

Besides LoPucki at the first position, Coach Weiland plans to start Yank Heisler, number two; Purdy, three: Joe Tibbetts, four; Barney Oldfield five; Steve Owen, six; and Tom Wynne, seven.