Houses Discuss Occupation, Raid; four Adopt Resolution for Strike

By David Blumenthal

Students and faculty began taking stands House by House on the day's events, as they retreated yesterday from University Hall and Memorial Church to afternoon and evening gatherings in the Houses.

Three Harvard House meetings and one Radcliffe group--in Quincy, Eliot, Kirkland, and North--voted by large margins to support the six demands of the Memorial Church gathering held yesterday morning and afternoon.

In seven other Harvard and two Radcliffe dorms, student-faculty meetings avoided votes and tried to trash out the issues without going on record for any positions.

Most of the meetings were small, failing to attract even half the student-faculty population of their House. But Quincy and Eliot--both of which lined up with the Mem Church group--came close to a fifty per cent figure with about 200 people in both cases. Kirkland's discussion drew only about 70 students and faculty, and Radcliffe's North House only 30.

As the meetings progressed a number of Masters gave their reactions to the occupation and the administration response. Alan E. Heimert '49, Master of eliot House, expressed firm support for the three-day strike and a restructuring of the University, as well as student demands that the University drop criminal charges against demonstrators and there be a legal investigation of police behavior.

Both Bruce Chalmers, Master of Winthrop House, and Richard T. Gill '48, Master of Leverett, struck very different notes. Chalmers, while saying he was "disappointed that he was not consulted, said that if he had been, he would have supported the administration action.

Gill also concurred with the administration tactic. "The administration could not allow themselves the luxury of consultation" with the Faculty, Gill told about 150 students, because delaying would have permitted more people to settle in University Hall, and would have led to higher casualties when the police moved.

Gill never mentioned Pusey by name, but argued that in tough situations, administrators are inevitably forced to put themselves on the line.

In a harsh attack on the administration, Harry P. Kerr, Allston Burr Senior Tutor in Dudley House, blamed the confrontation on the inflexibility of Pusey and the deans. He also called Pusey's statement on scholarships two nights ago "plan dishonest."

In his statement Pusey told the demonstrators that the "question of replacing ROTC scholarships by other scholarships is not a real issue, for this question would be resolved by the scholarship committees of the various faculties if and when the need for such considerations becomes a reality."

Many of the House meetings that didn't arrive at positions voted to continue discussions in subsequent meetings, and both Winthrop and Adams held a second conference last night.

In an independent statement, the House Committee of Kirkland House issued a statement condemning the President and deans as "irresponsible because they didn't wait for a moderate alternative to develop," according to Leo J. Corbett '70, chairman of the Kirkland House Committee. Corbett said the HRPC-SFAC-HUC meeting scheduled for 10 a.m. yesterday was evidence that such an alternative was developing.