Teaching Fellows To Go On Strike

By William M. Kutik

About 150 of the College's more than 900 teaching fellows voted unanimously at a meeting yesterday to go on strike and not to teach their regularly scheduled academic classes at least through Monday night.

Near the end of the two-hour meeting, the 95 people still remaining also voted 65 to 30 to support the six SDS demands plus complete amnesty for those arrested. By the same vote, they called for President Pusey's resignation and then unanimously condemned professors who have allegedly threatened teaching fellows with dismissal for not teaching their classes.

At a different meeting earlier, about 600 graduates students and teaching fellows voted overwhelmingly--but not unanimously--to "support" the three-day cessation of classes. It was the sense of that meeting that "support" meant either not going to classes or attending them and discussing the issues.

Those attending the smaller meeting first approved a strike and then argued over supporting the moderates or SDS's demands. A decision on continuing the strike will be made after Monday night's University-wide meeting. Their strike committee will meet at 2 p.m. today in Emerson's third floor lounge.