TF Strike Gains Support; Moderates Write Demands

By William M. Kutik

As support for the teaching fellows strike for the seven SDS demands grew slowly yesterday, a group of 30 more moderate teaching fellows drew up a second set of demands that include structural reforms.

Both sets of demands will be presented at a mass meeting of teaching fellows interested in striking at 11:30 p.m. today in Emerson 105.

The five drafters of the second demands emphasized yesterday that they are not calling a separate teaching fellows strike. They do, however, which are on the agenda of today's Soldiers' Field meeting. Afro and a splinter section of the Mem church group have adopted their demands. SDS and House representatives rejected them at separate meetings yesterday.

The radical teaching fellows also held departmental meetings yesterday. Seventy-five teaching fellows signed a petition declaring themselves on strike, refusing to teach or grade until the seven SDS demands are met. Sixty-five more teaching fellows at those meetings reportedly supported strike for other reasons.

The split developed at a three-hour strike committee meeting on Saturday. Although anyone was permitted to attend, SDS-oriented teaching fellows dominated. The meeting voted four to one to discuss only how to implement the strike on the seven SDS demands, which was the charge of Friday's mass meeting. The moderates did not leave.

The strike committee discussed the new set of demands at its meeting last night, reacted negatively, but did not vote on them. The moderate teaching fellows calls themselves the "Committee for Radical Structural Reform." Their proposals are on page seven.