Golfers Take Greater Bostons, Overcome a Strong M.I.T. Squad

Harvard golfers, hampered by biting winds and sloshy conditions, stroked to their third consecutive victory in the Greater Boston Intercollegiate Gold Championships yesterday.

The Crimson finished 26 strokes ahead of its nearest competitor, M.I.T. The Engineers had been ahead by 8 after the first round.

In individual competition, however, the Crimson golfers did not fare as well. The top four positions went to other Greater Boston golfers.

Jack Purdy, who shot a 155, placed highest for the Crimson golf team, finishing fifth. Purdy's 77 for the first 18 holes was Harvard's lowest score in the first round. He played a steady game, shooting par for 26 of the holes. In the remaining ten holes, Purdy birdied two, bogeyed seven, double-bogeyed one, and triple-bogeyed the second hole of the first round.

Steve Owen, who shot a 158 and tied Bruce LoPucki, could have shot a 152 and placed third if he hadn't had to play the 17th hole. Owen triple-bogeyed that hole in both rounds. The first time one of his iron shots landed in a snow-swollen pond and it took two shots and a penalty before the was out of the water. The second time around Owen drove his ball over the green and into the street on the other side.

Shooting a 157, Paul Oldfield said, "I just beat around the course and counted my score after 36." Oldfield, like many of the other golfers, was up by 6 a.m., an during the last nine holes could not concentrate. He had four double-bogeys on those nine holes.

The best score for a single round, was LoPucki's 76 on the back 18. The Crimson captain finished with a 158. Yank Heisler, on stroke behind LoPucki, putted poorly throughout the match but managed to shoot a 77 in the last round.

Tommy Wynne, who won the Arkansas two-ball Championship last year, was sixth overall for Harvard, shooting a 161 for 36 holes.