Ivy Lacrosse Race Tight As Yale Game Approaches

By Benito Playa

One day made an enormous difference in the Ivy League lacrosse standings. The unexpected losses by Brown and Princeton which every other team was hoping for happened, but Harvard forfeited its chance to capitalize on the situation by losing to Dartmouth.

The Crimson was riding high after a thrilling 13-12 upset of Princeton on May 3, and expected to demolish Dartmouth. Harvard certainly didn't get the breaks Saturday, but it had to be an off day for the Crimson to lose to the Indians, who had been waiting for three years to beat an Ivy League opponent.

One jubilant Dartmouth player said after the game that he was looking forward to seeing the Boston papers the next day. Rather jokingly he added that they'd probably just print a single column at the bottom of a page. As a matter of fact, only the score appeared.

One serious problem for Harvard at this point is Yale. The Elis managed to accomplish a victory over Princeton just as the Crimson had. The momentum has quickly shifted in Yale's favor, but, perhaps the Crimson has lost the over-confidence it seemed to suffer from at Dartmouth.

Yale Improves

When Yale travels to Cambridge Saturday for the season finale for both teams, it will have an eye on a share of the league title. Only Brown and Cornell have beaten the Elis--a surprise since the Yale midfield was supposed to be a real weak point.

If Harvard wins, it will probably end up in a four-way tie for third place with Yale, Cornell, and Penn in the tightest Ivy Leave race ever. It's extremely rare when the first place team, which happens to be Brown, has lost 2 of its six games. No matter what happens, the Bruins, who were upset by Cornell last weekend, are guaranteed at least a tie for the championship. Yale and Princeton can get in on it if they win their last games Saturday.