Winthrop Takes 'B' Rowing Race; Eliot Captures House Track Meet

Track

Eliot House padded its lead in the Straus Cup race last Friday as they captured the intramural track championship by a razor-thin margin over Winthrop and Quincy. Eliot finished with 38 points in the meet, and Winthrop and Quincy had 37 each. The remaining points were scattered among five other teams, while Lowell House was shut out.

By any standard, Eliot's Scott Guild was the hero of the day as he won three events and came in second in another. Running in the indoor track bubble because of bad weather, Guild captured the 60-yard dash in 6.4 seconds, the 240-yard run in 27.4 seconds, and the running broad jump with a leap of 19 ft. 7 1/2 in. He also came in second in the high jump behind Kirkland's Mehmed Kayal, who jumped 5 ft. 10 in.

Other individual winners in the meet were Quincy's Gerald Brock, whose time of 4:33.0 in the mile run was only 41.9 seconds shy of the world record; Dunster's Stuart Herro, winner of the 60-yard hurdles; Eliot's Patrick Shipstead in the 440-yard run; Dudley's Bruce Jones in the 880-yard run; and Leverett's Doug Griswold in the shot put.

A Winthrop team was victorious in the 4/11-mile relay.