Stickmen Play Bulldogs In Second Spoiler Role

By Benito Playa

A fast-improving Yale lacrosse team invades Cambridge tomorrow for a crucial contest against the Crimson in the season finale for both squads at 2 p.m. A Bulldog win would give them a share of the Ivy title.

Yale played its best game of the season last Saturday to upset Princeton, 6-4, and hike its league record to 3-2. In addition to this new momentum and a chance for the championship, another factor will be the Elis' attempt to win the final game of coach Dick Corrigan's career.

The Crimson, upset by Dartmouth a week after upending Princeton, is now 2-3 in the league and can do no better than second. But the team's spirit seems good again, as it was before the Princeton game. Harvard can spoil Yale's bid just as it destroyed the Tigers' chance for an undefeated season and sole possession of the championship.

This week's practices on the Business School field have been more intensive than usual, and yesterday the Crimson clobbered the freshmen in a short scrimmage. Coach Munro has stressed the extra-man situation, which his team has not taken full advantage of in recent games.

Munro appears to have recovered psychologically from last weekend's disaster at Dartmouth and is optimistic about the Yale game. "I'd have to call it a toss up, and it will depend a good deal on who's going after it. But it's been a really good week," he said.

Weak Midfield

Yale opened the season with a solid defense and attack, but with very questionable midfield strength due to graduation losses. Corrigan switched veteran attackmen Derek Huntington and Jim McGuire to midfield, and with the help of sophomore Carl Bates, the midfield has become more an asset than a hindrance. Huntington, who scored three goals against Princeton, now has 18 plus one assist.

The defense is anchored by goalie Mike Stanton, a transfer from Wesleyan and captain Bill Evans. Stanton was superb in the late stages of the Princeton game, and held the Tigers to their lowest output all season four goals.

The Elis may try the same strategy which worked so well against Princeton: a slowdown. Yale did a lot of passing and controlled the ball while waiting for a good shooting opportunity.